Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Stomach troubles & Becoming Vegan



So what the heck is that you ask, well that is my daily breakfast. It consiste of 2 cups of water, 4oz of fresh spinach, 1 banana & 2 cups frozen berries. Sometimes it may have 1 T of flax oil or an avacado in it. Depending on my mood & if I feel like I got enough healthy fat the day before. So this breakfast started 5 weeks ago after suffering with the never ending stomach ache, headache, tiredness & over all feeling like crap. I was right on the verge of going to the doctors to find out what the heck was wrong with me, I was really fearful since the women in my family have a history of terrible stomach issues, weight problems, headaches & depression. So , I decided to do a little research my self. I did ALOT of reading & searching the internet. And I came to the conclusion that the food I feed my body is like taking medicine, the side effects can be good or bad. Obviously some people are more sensitive to what they eat & some people can eat anything & never have a problem. I am severely sensitive to food. It has alway been a huge part of my life & even determined my mood for me. So I put together all the info I found & decided to put it to the test. I figured what was the worst thing that would happen, I already felt like crap. At first it was hell. Oh, the headaches from cutting out caffinee & the cravings from cutting out all processed food & sugar. OMG can I really do this.... Well I did & it has been 5 weeks & let me just tell you, I have not felt this good my whole life. No headaches, no stomach aches, no 2 pm gonna fall asleep in the middle of whatever I am doing. I feel like I have more energy than I have ever had & can think more clearly. The cravings have totally gone away. Sweets have always been a problem for me, well not anymore it is amazing how your body works. So, I basically follow a very strict vegan diet which for me is made up of all whole foods, nothing processed at all. I have my smoothy for breakfast, a whole grain (brown rice, couscous, quinoa etc.), beans (dried not canned) & lots of fresh veggies for lunch & dinner & 1 - 2oz of raw nuts for a snack. If I am hungry in between I will add in a fruit like a peach or apple. I have been very satisfied with this & feel good about what I am putting into my body. I have learned so much about why people are vegan & feel proud that I have choosen this path. Alot of what I have learned has come from other people that have read:

The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and
the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health


2 comments:

mitzi said...

Girl, I don't see how you have time to do all the things you do! I really couldn't eat the stuff that you are eating! I would die! LOL! I do miss you and when you make a visit back to Mississippi please come see me!
Mitzi

angela | the painted house said...

Deb, thanks for the comment on my blog. I have heard some people say that honey isn't vegan because it is made by a creature, bees. I really haven't done much research into it so in my ignorance I feel like it is okay. Way to cop out of that one, huh? Isn't it something that they manufacture rather than a body product? Of course, you could just use agave nectar, which is plant based. I haven't tried it in the bread recipe, however.

HOORAY for you for taking your health into your own hands. I know the detox can be rough, but, ah, the life on the other side is amazing, isn't it? I have been so excited about how well I feel, the energy, the sleep, just overall GOOD.

I hope you stop by the blog again and leave your own recipes, ideas, and menus! I wish we could eat more raw but...maybe later!